Sunday, April 1, 2007

Reading Renee Hobbs' book Media Literacy is very interesting and I must admit I am learning alot! the definition of media literacy according to her reflects the "acknoledged task of schools to assist the young in interpreting the symbols of their culture". Media texts are the center of our cultural world because everyone watches TV and movies and plays in the internet.

Replacing the classic literature texts or analyzing them next to concepts that students see in the media every day--this helps students apply the critical thinking skills to their OWN culture and they learn best when engaged and motivated. Students are highly motivated by pop culture. AN article in the latest Alan Review says that "young people absorb each new technology effortlessly....cyberspace is their habitat, and if we in older generations don't join them there, we will be superfluous. Discounted. Quite literally out of it." The author says that "we must accept that exploring a Web page or a blog IS reading, blogging or posting comments IS writing, and chatting and instant messaging ARE reading and writing....IF we teach safe conduct online, cyberspace offers astounding opportunities for creativity, learning, and development."

This leads me to a wonderful field trip my technology in the classroom took last WEdndesday. It was amazing to actually see this media literacy program at work and succeeding too. Chris Sperry, the instructor at this wonderful alternative school in Ithaca, NY, is teaching media literacy to high school students and it works great no matter what level people are at. The program is called Project Look Sharp and it is looking at literacy in a different form than classic texts. Kids are bored by all the teaching of literary elements, but when you teach them in relation to movies or video games, kids can come alive and start to think about these techniques like characterization, theme, and flashback. Their attitude changes and suddenly they are thinking critically and enjoying it because they are engaged in something that they can wrap their minds around: tv, movies, video games, the Web.

Kids need to learn who is feeding us all this information and what is the motive behind media. We, as a nation, are consuming media at a rapid pace and so what we need is to learn how to decipher fact from fiction, who is trying to sell us something, and who is being genuine. WIth the world wide web, the gates or walls as Friedman says have come crashing down, in regard to where info is coming from and who is hosting what.

So let's help our future generation learn to deconstruct what is coming at us from all angles and teach them how to think critically in the world we live in. It is the most essential thing they will need to take with them when they leave school and what they will use the most in their life: their minds.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charity, I agree. Thanks for bringing in the reference to ALAN Review--great addition to your post.

Jo Tutko said...

I too was inspired to see media literact in action. When what we are covering in class leaps of the rooms and we have a chance to see it in actions, makes it more realistic. What I found exciting was how Chris Sperry's students, average 85 on the Regents... not only are people doing this but it works. how cool is that

Jami said...

Our nation is so hooked on the media, that the connection between adolescent interest in media literacy material is not hard to rationalize. If we focus their attention on the media, which they are so much focused on to begin with, and then we devote their attention into classwork using ELA skills, then aren't we being as truly effective as we possibly can be? Students won't be as interested in other projects related to book activities, so at least with media literacy projects, students will be interested and actually completing the work.

CHARITY said...

Yes exactly! The more I read in the Hobbs' book Reading the Media, the more excited I get about wanting to teach like this. I want to teach at least one grade level as a "Media Literacy" course..but I think I will incorporate a lot of pop culture in my English classes in general just because i know it is the way to really engage students now. It's exciting and i can't wait to create my own media literacy unit. =)

Megan said...

Jo is right- the media literacy approach to teaching ELA works! I think we know HOW it does...

I also think that incorporating as much pop culture into our classrooms will greatly benefit our students' learning.

What do you plan on teaching with pop culure?

Darlene said...

I think it's most important we get our students to read material carefully - delving into every little detail. I think the new technology helps students understand the importance of detail in their reading and writing.

Anonymous said...

Bridget said it Wed. night--close reading skills that translate into all aspects of "readers'" lives.

Yes, the Hobbs book is important to our rethinking the ELA "project!" I'm telling you, get rid of the notion that our work is about teaching A "book" to students for 6 weeks. That's so over it's not even worth talking about. And yet we still see it in every classroom I go into.

I agree w/the discussion here about incorporating pop culture texts into our classrooms. In mine they would sit alongside Tolstoi and Lahiri and Azar and Banks and Kerouac and Marcus Zusak and ....well, you get the idea.

CHARITY said...

Megan, in response to your question--I plan on bringing in pop culture that is related to my students lives at that moment--whatever it is THEY are interested in at that time and that will be different whereever I go based on demographics. I need to get to know my students first before creating a curriculum.. I will have my stuff to work with along side it, but I would like to ideally work my classroom in the Nancie Atwell style reading/writing workshop and blend that with Hobbs' media program, such as reading and writing on the web and teaching critical thinking skills along the way.

Anonymous said...

Hi Charity, I'm browsing for new content.

Willis said...

Hey,
Lindsay and I are going to meet for our project on Monday night...I think you commute? Let me know if you can do it then as well, or also another time, maybe tuesday night or something that you can meet. :)