Thursday, April 12, 2007

Teenvoices.com (haunting poem)

Masks
(Anonymous)

I carry a paint set
wherever I go
to make a mask that covers up the scars
of who I really am

My world is full of lies
a play which only I see
please be patient, my dear reader,
as I rip off one mask at a time
to show you the real me

A mask for friends
so I'll be what they want
strong not weak
outgoing not scared

Another is for kids at school
to be what they expect
morbid not preppy
disturbed not sane

A family mask
which I must mutate
day by day
respect not hate
love not argue
hide when the tears fall

A mask for the enemy
I hide from all but thee
for I have shown you
a glimpse of the real me

Now the last painful mask of all
the mask I show to only me
I tell myself
I like who I am now
and what I've become

Behind all the masks
is a terrified teen
who just wants to fit in
to be liked by most
and forgiven by her enemies

1 comment:

Barb Hollings said...

What a thought provoking poem.

I thought at first that you had written this, but then I realized that it had come from the website.

Thank you for sharing this Charity - I think it would be a great poem to incorporate into a lesson plan or unit dealing with fitting in.