Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Unlearn the past and take hold of the future in front of us

Reading Will's "unlearning curve" seemed to put down in black and white what I have been thinking in my head about what I want to do in my classroom. We, as teachers, are not the sole content expert in the classroom. I want to make that clear to my students so they take charge of their own learning and seek out experts whereever and whenever they seek knowledge. The important thing is that they take the reins of their learning and direct themselves to where they want to learn. This is the only way we will see passion in our students. It needs to be relevant and personal FOR them.

I also firmly believe that education is a community undertaking on different levels. We need to use every resource out there that we can and get everyone involved. And Will is saying that the Read/Write web is an excellent source to make that happen. The web is a community of learners all coming together on the same page, the same playing field, the "flat world" according to Friedman.

One of the comments to Will's post caught my attention. Rosie Sherry said we need to unlearn that school/college/university is only option for learning. This brought to mind for me John Gatto's book again, Dumbing Us Down because he writes that the essential learning takes place in the home, surrounded by immediate and extended family and the community around which they live. We learn from the jobs we take on to help other people. I like the idea of apprenticeships (think Tobey MacGuire's character in Cider House Rules--he was Dr. Larson's apprentice--he learned everything about becoming a doctor by doing, not by sitting in a classroom all day) Granted that is a fictional account, but that is the way people learned and I think it is the way people learn best today--through hands-on, active engagement of the thing itself.

Doctors do it in med school with their practicum as an intern, teachers must be interns first too (as pre-service observers/participators and then as "student teachers") Why can't we start this with children at younger ages like middle and high school? Kids want to know that they are driving towards something and they deserve to know what their school is useful for. High test scores and an A grade is not enough motivation. Those external rewards will not build self-esteem and passion for learning in our students.

4 comments:

Rosie Sherry said...

The frustrating thing about school is how many people leave without being able to do simple and essential tasks such as cooking.

Students/people get bored easily,
practical experience is a great way to move away from this boredom and get them experimenting. Without experimention , trial and error - people will not fully understand the reasoning for their or other people's actions.

I think I've learnt more since I've decided to take all my learning into my own hands. The internet of course has been core to this.

I maintain a blog, which to me is my "learning portfolio".

Regards,

Rosie Sherry
Driven Systems

Megan said...

Charity,

I agree- students have a huge community of people surrounding them (parents, siblings, grandparents, even other teachers). What a great tool for us as teachers to help our students learn how to use these resources as benefits.

You'll see tomorrow (Thursday) more about this in my presentation of the Breakhroughs chapter.

For those of you who may be interested, Breakthroughs, edited by Amy Bauman, is a compilation of different teachers' discoveries about how they have taught writing.

The chapter in which my presentation is focused is called "Let's Talk: Building a Bridge Between Home and School." The teacher, Catherine Humphrey, has discovered a creative and useful method for propelling "quality verbal interaction" between parents and students.

Skeptical? She says it works!

Karen Stearns said...

Charity, you make a good point when you reference Gatto here. I met him some years ago when I was one of 2 high school English teachers who got to participate in a national "envisioning the future of education" project in Salt Lake City.

I agree w/much of what Gatto says in a number of his publications.

Who is Rosie Sherry? IS this post spam? Or have you attracted a legitimate educator/blogger?

I appreciate your comment as well Megan. How did your presentation go?

By the way, Charity, CIDER HOUSE RULES is one of my very favorite books.

CHARITY said...

No, I'm not getting any spam.. she had a comment on Will's blog and I referenced something she said because I was in agreement with her, so I guess that lead her to read my blog. she is an educator/blogger over in the UK.