Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Job interview

In order to show what I can do in the world of technology, I would first show them the blog I have been maintaining in my classroom, show the delicious tags I am connected to, and take them to my bloglines.com page which I have a direct link to on my blog. I would take them to bloglines because that is the central page I like to go to when i am looking for new content from my peers, and show that I subscribe to the New York Times, Will Richardson's blog and various other blogs. I will explain that this is how I stay connected to information in the internet and how easy it is to set up your own account and subscribing to different blogs is like having their blogs delivered right to your door step. I would explain that my students would be setting up their own bloglines of individual content on the web that they are interested in reading on a daily basis as well as also creating their own blogs on blogger.com because it is simple and fast and helps students stay connected to one another outside the classroom. I would incorporate blogging and commenting on classmates' blogs as part of the curriculum and allow students to use their blogs to submit homework assignments, post them directly to their blog.

Having my students create their own blogs and using these will be the vehicle for turning in homework assignments and responding to their classmates work. It will provide students with the independence to write in the medium that they are used to writing in: in front of a monitor and typing on a keyboard. This relates to the NYS standards in that it allows students to write their own blog posts, read their classmates blogs and various other sites on the web. Here is a link to my blog for my new English writers

The url is ela7thgrade.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Jami said...

I had a similar idea when I went into this interview task. My first idea was to show off my own personal blog, my del.icio.us website and other social bookmarking sites. This would show how active I am already in the technology world, and then I could create something on the spot that would show them that I can perform fast and efficiently. I think our own projects in this class are really coming in handy for the future; we can actually use them and expand on them after we're done with ENG307. Isn't that the kind of work we should be giving students?